LASIK Eye Surgery Price – Your Guide
If you’ve ever considered types of laser eye surgery i.e. LASIK eye surgery, the price is often one of the first things you’ll want to discover.
Other questions or concerns you may have include;
One misconception we should address is that LASIK
is not the only laser eye procedure available. In fact, there are many laser refractive surgery methods to choose from. Each of these can help to improve vision and reduce your dependency on glasses or contacts. Some can even help to cure certain eye diseases, such as cataracts.
Just be mindful that, just as the price of glasses may vary at your local opticians, the price from one method of laser eye surgery to another may also vary.
At Eye Laser Specialists, we offer not only LASIK eye surgery but also:
Depending on your refractive error, your eyes may be better suited to one particular procedure, not necessarily LASIK.
This is something we will discuss further with you at your free assessment.
A quick refresher on LASIK eye surgery
LASIK (laser in situ keratomileusis) works by reshaping the cornea, the transparent front surface of the eye, to change the direction of light as it passes through the eye.
This redirecting of light is calculated to focus on the sensory retina at the back of the eye, which is what your brain then perceives as clear and correct vision.
This technique of laser eye surgery uses two lasers.
- A femtosecond laser, which creates a thin flap of corneal tissue, allowing access to the deeper tissues underneath, and
- An excimer laser is responsible for removing precise sections of tissue to reshape the cornea in a process known as photoablation.
So, what is the price of LASIK eye surgery?
The average price of LASIK eye surgery in Melbourne may range from around $2000 per eye to over $3000. However, you may find that more experienced eye specialists charge towards the higher end of the range due to having more experience and expertise.
To break down the price of laser eye surgery further still, it’s worth considering the following factors:
- Consultation fees – at Eye Laser Specialists, we offer the initial consultation and assessment at no out-of-pocket price. During this appointment, your consultant will first perform a thorough eye examination. Your visual needs will then be discussed, and which laser eye surgery technique is best suited to help achieve your goals. Not all ophthalmology clinics will provide a complimentary consultation. Many will charge a fee of a few hundred dollars.
- Surgery fees – the use of very precise medical equipment is required to achieve the desired results of laser eye surgery. The actual surgery fee comprises the bulk of the total price you can expect for a LASIK procedure.
- Medicare rebates – refractive eye surgery is not covered under Medicare in Australia, as it is an elective procedure. Medicare may contribute in certain situations, such as surgery to treat cataracts. However, LASIK does not fall into this category.
- Private health insurance – not all insurance providers will contribute towards LASIK surgery. For accurate information on your available eye surgery benefits, it’s best to contact your health fund directly.
Some clinics, such as Eye Laser Specialists, also offer payment plans. These can help make laser eye surgery more accessible and financially viable for many patients.
Think long term
It is also helpful to think about how much you spend on contact lenses or spectacles per year. Long-term contact lenses often cost more than either spectacles or refractive surgery, as they require regular replacement.
Spectacles are cheaper as one pair can last at least a couple of years, if not longer. This will depend, however on whether your prescription remains stable. Glasses are also prone to general wear and tear.
Even with a payment plan, LASIK eye surgery will be a higher upfront price than either spectacles or contacts. However, it’s likely to end up costing you less in the long run.
A precise quote on the price of LASIK eye surgery and payment options will be provided after your complimentary consultation. Call Eye Laser Specialists on 0390 700 910 to book your appointment.