The top 5 ways to prepare for Eye Laser Surgery
Eye laser surgery (including LASIK, SMILE, PRK) are accurate and safe procedures. You can help improve your chances of an excellent result by taking the following steps, in the lead up to your assessment and your surgery. Taking these steps could improve your recovery from eye laser surgery.
1) Improve the ocular surface
Dry eye can influence the precise measurements we take when assessing you to have Eye Laser Surgery. You can help improve the surface by:
- Keeping the eyes well lubricated with preservative free drops (e.g: Cellufresh, Systane or Hylo-forte)
- “Steaming” your eyelids once a day (holding a hot/warm face cloth on your eyelids for a few minutes each day)
- Taking flax-seed oil or omega-3 oral supplements in the lead up to your assessment.
- Visiting our EyeSpa for an eye assessment and possible treatment to ensure your eyes are in the best possible health preoperatively.
2) Don’t wear contact lenses
For approximately 5 days in the lead up to your assessment or surgery remove your contact lenses they can “warp” the cornea and give false measurements during the assessment. If you are wearing hard contact lenses (gas permeable) these require a longer period of time.
3) Purchase a pair of good sunglasses to wear after the surgery
You may have prescription sunglasses already, these will be redundant after having the surgery. UV exposure can lead to a prolonged healing process.
4) Prepare your family
This is especially applicable to families with young children. Small children might accidentally poke you in the eye and if this is soon after surgery, could potentially disrupt the LASIK flap. Its a good idea to tell them they will need to be careful around you the first few days after having surgery.
5) Get excited
Prepare for a new glasses free lifestyle. Go surfing, biking, hiking, play sport and socialise free of burden of glasses or contact lenses.
All surgical procedures carry a small risk of complication, these are discussed in detail at the time of your consultation.
CALL US NOW for a FREE Preliminary consultation 1300 297 583 Show me my suitability