What is SMILE® Laser Surgery? Show me my suitability
Small incision lenticule extraction. Better known as SMILE, is the first minimally invasive Laser Vision Correction procedure.
Nearly 2 million people have experienced this life-changing keyhole procedure. The most popular procedure in the Asia Pacific for vision correction. SMILE keyhole technique provides a minimally invasive treatment for the correction of myopia and astigmatism.
The procedure involves two bubbles layers created within the cornea that compare to the patient’s correction. Worn in their glasses or contact lenses. A keyhole access point is made via an incision on the surface of the cornea. A small arc like shape, approximately 3-4 mm. Enabling the removal of this small piece of tissue, the lenticule. After removing the lenticule, the corneal shape is altered.Correcting the myopia with or without astigmatism.
This keyhole surgery uses a VisuMax femtosecond laser, from Zeiss. The optical company whose lenses took the first images of the landing on the moon.
- Research suggests there may be less risk of dry eyes after SMILE compared to LASIK. Due to less corneal nerves affected or damaged.
- Research shows the results in visual acuity to be the same outcome as LASIK
- The small incision may enable the cornea to be more bio
- The correction amount achievable is the key point. Parameters are assessed at a consultation
- Longsighted patients are not currently suitable for this procedure
SMILE® at a glance
- The world’s most advanced laser eye surgery
- Uses only one laser (femtosecond)
- The laser part of the process only takes approximately 25 seconds per eye
- Minimally invasive – no flap
- Minimal discomfort and return to work, study and activities the next day
All surgical procedures carry a small risk of complication, these are discussed in detail at the time of your consultation.